Sunday, May 06, 2007

Keep Cool My Babies.

All of you know last week Conan O'Brien brought his show to San Francisco and I was lucky enough to watch Wednesday's show. Btw, Wednesday was declared "Conan O'Brien Day" in San Francisco. The day started with waiting in the yellow line (what up?) and getting our tickets. Got in line outside the Orpheum Theatre around 10:30am. During our wait, I got a free Google pen, monster drink, and a free Conan foam hair (pictured) after a sorority tried and failed to sell it to me for a dollar. After 5 some odd hours, we finally got to enter. We sat near the side studio door and got to see La Bamba and the "ASS" from the ILM skit. Hilarious. And who knew security actually used the metal detectors but didn't even give my purse a thorough look around. Then at 3:30 everyone entered the beautiful theatre and we got lucky enough to grab aisle fifth row seats.

Supposedly a frisbee champion was suppose to be a guest but he didn't appear in the opening, I was a bit disappointed, I wanted to grab a frisbee. But I was lucky enough to see one of my favorite actors, Robin Williams, as a guest at my first live television taping. And the Glide Ensemble was to perform. Before the show the warm up guy, Brian McCann, I recognize him from previous sketches, came out to pump up the already pumped crowd. The middle finger to the people who just walked in was perfect. Then Max Weinberg 7 came out and played a few songs. Props to the trumpeter who blew it hard and long. Ha. Then Joel came out, I never knew his hair was that long, and announced the guests. Easiest job ever. Conan came out on the replica of the Golden Gate Bridge ("We had a replica of the Bay Bridge but it collapsed.") So awesome. Everyone had their signs and Conan actually pulled the free foam and put it on. The audience was so loud he even pretended to sleep. Our city really needs a talk show.

It's so refreshing when it's your town being talked about. Newsome jokes, plastic bags, fuck Charles Barkley. Small talk news is so much funnier when your talking about BART and freeways you take. It's funny to see all the stage hands holding the cue cards during that segment. Max and Conan stone faces are brilliant.

Since we were lacking one guest, the show was filled with pre-taped segments. First was the Sam Wo commercial. Hilarious, makes me want to eat there. Then the turning of the cable car, special place in my heart, see below. And his final segment was his trip to Napa, wine country. When he pulled out the humongous wine glass for sampling and wine glass helmet, I was dying. Also high points: car crashing, wine cave, dirty music during the glass shaft into barrel bunghole, singing "Desperado," quick change to the pipe, crying with an empty glass in the fields.




Now I must talk about my 15 minutes 5 seconds of fame. During one of the sketches, Conan ran
into the aisle and out of the studio for the cable car segment. I was lucky enough to be at the aisle where he ran out and got myself a high five! Really that made my year. Then he came back and I got another. If you recorded the show you can actually see me for a couple seconds when he tried to grab a foam hair piece from the girl behind me. Thanks to the folks to said they saw me. Those seconds are up.

Robin came out and was being as kooky as ever. He ran up the bridge to audience members shouting "jump," yeah I said it too. Being in a crowd gets to you. He talked about the city and described Castro as "Boystown." He showed a clip of his new movie License to Wed ; good clap joke. Robin is a talker, and the stage hand wrote 30 seconds on his white board to wrap up that interview up plenty of times. Oh I just remembered the transgendered TransAmerica tower in a Trans Am, and the steroid calf legs on Pierre Benard was so weird looking in person. Really what was that made of?

The best part of the show was being able to see what happens when the cameras aren't rolling. When the segments air, Conan is either talking to producers on his next lines or drinking watering and bobbing his head. During one point some older hippie man was popping to Max Weinberg Seven and Conan actually danced along with him. Too bad they didn't catch that on tape. Also after the monologue, the crew pulling the set onto the stage and off. Also, I love the "woo's" and the "ooww" and people yelling "warriors," I'm pretty sure you can hear me at least once. The stage hands took really long when setting up for the Glide Ensemble so we were just sitting there being antsy. They were pretty good and it felt like a church, whole audience was clapping along.

The show ended roughly around 5. After the show, Conan actually signed for awhile. People threw panties, signs, and a statistic book, which he happily signed. And I got to take pictures, muaha security guards. Outside we went and waited for the guests. I missed Robin, he left during the show, but Joel came out and made his crazy face and LaBamba and the band. I waited outside for an hour, and was actually on NBC11 news waving stupidly to my dad. Then Conan was signing for awhile but stupid newscaster (ASS) took him away as he was about to sign my ticket. Oh well. The show was perfect and next time I hope to see him in New York.

The Best of the rest:
- Conan tours SF Part 1, Part 2
- Conan at Industrial Light & Magic
- Will Arnett awesome air guitar
- Dana Carvey and Conan duet
- ASS!

No comments: